2013 Jetta Hybrid Anyone have to get a new Transmission put in yet?

Discussion in 'VW Jetta hybrid forum' started by Ant, Sep 15, 2015.

1. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

Update. Got my vehicle back last night. VW Corporate Engineers told my dealership that the brake vacuum pump does play a role in engaging the hybrid motor/switching back to gasoline. Therefore, it could have been the culprit this whole time. I looked at them stupidly and said "ok"...then I was told if it DOES happen again call them immediately and they're going to get VW on the phone and find a way to reconcile this whole thing. They seemed very skeptical of the response given to them.

In the mean time, they didn't make me pay ANYTHING. I was outside the warranty, my extended warranty covered it with a deductible but they let me go with ZERO payment. That included installing new tires for me as well. Oh, and a loaner for the near month that they had it...all free. They also went ahead and gave me a full detail and wax(which I typically would pass on). They scrubbed my weathertech floor mats and made them look brand new too. Now the car smells great and everything is spotless. If anybody is wondering....it's Priority VW out of Richmond. They've always been extremely good to me. This is just another example :)
    voltron likes this.
  2. voltron

voltron Administrator and Defender of the Universe Staff Member

Ya learn something every day.

Nice that they comp'd it for you.
    I800C0LLECT likes this.
  3. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

Quick mention...I had amazing MPG my first day back riding in the rain, something like 44.8 on the mfd?...hard to remember. This morning it was 63, dry, and sunny but I was struggling to get past 38mpg. This leads me to believe that the hard jerking is related to my camshaft position sensor. That probably doesn't make the mechatronic real happy getting jerked like that.
  4. NoUseForaName

NoUseForaName New Member

This is the crappiest car I have ever bought. I got it CPO with only 23,000 miles, and now I need a new transmission at 68,000 miles. I had it serviced on time at every interval, and suddenly yesterday it stopped shifting into any gears. Of course I didn't have an extended warranty, because I didn't expect my POS car to clunk out at 68,000 miles. The dealership quoted the repair at $9,000:\ It seems like this could be a problem that was the result of an earlier recall on the gearbox. Either way, I'm not repairing it. I'm trying to find more people right now with the same problem.
  5. voltron

voltron Administrator and Defender of the Universe Staff Member

Perhaps it's a design defect and if you find more people who complain loud enough, you can get a warranty extension?
  6. jdd82

jdd82 New Member

Is anyone still experiencing this issue? I have a 2013 Jetta Hybrid...after 8 months of purchase had to get mechatronics unit replaced...now one year later, I need a new transmission and my car is out of warranty. VW refuses to assist and refuses to acknowledge that this transmission issue is related to the faulty DSG gearbox that was recalled. They are just sticking me with a $7k bill. I am planning on escalating this issue...please let me know if any others have been or are still being screwed over due to these faulty hybrids! VW needs to be held accountable!
  7. NoUseForaName

NoUseForaName New Member

I found a local transmission shop that located a salvaged transmission from a 2015 jetta hybrid with 12k miles, and they charged me $3,400. I called VW as well, and they refused to acknowledge that the gearbox recall had anything to do with my transmission going out at 68k miles:mad: The next thing to go out is probably the hybrid battery. It took 5 minutes of chatting with VW online for them to tell me that has a 100k warranty. After it all, I ended up trading it in after the transmission repair and getting $9,000. I ended up getting a 6 speed manual diesel chevy cruze. It gets better gas mileage then my hybrid ever got. I will never buy a VW or a hybrid ever again!
    Tom Smith likes this.
  8. Tom Smith

Tom Smith New Member

I bought my '13 Jetta Hybrid Certified Preowned which automatically extends your warranty by 24 months or 24000 miles whichever comes first but I guess at 68k miles yours was out of factory and CPO warranty.
    Mine only has 50k miles on it so far and I had it in several times already for transmission issues. First time they couldn't find anything wrong with it. (First time I took it in it was jerky off the line and sometime at a stop
    the brakes just wouldn't work). The second time I took it in they did replace the Crankshaft positioning sensor which didn't do diddly squat. Then after I took it in a third time they did finally change out the Transmissions
    Megatronic Unit which normally would have been a $3000 Dollar repair but thanks to the CPO warranty it only cost me $50 dollars out of pocket. That repair actually did help and the transmission didn't shudder for
    about 3 months. Well, guess what, after 3 months and less than 2000 miles the shudder is back. I owned VW's pretty much all my life and never experienced this much trouble with any of them. It also never got the
    advertised Gas Mileage. Actually, after the warranty repair and switching out the Megatronics unit it has actually been getting less gas mileage than before. Since switching it out it has been pretty constant at around
    37/38 average miles per gallon. I did take it on a trip from Indy to Detroit once and it did get right at 40 mpg but that is the highest it has been getting since their repair. In the winter when it is cold gas mileage has been
    lower at around 30-33 mpg. I used to own a Prius and this car is by far more fun to drive due to it's peppy performance but the Prius was definitely a more reliable vehicle and it did live up to the mileage ratings and then some.
    I may look into trading this Hybrid before the CPO warranty runs out in less than 10k miles. I can't afford a 9000 Dollar transmission repair. I see that Volkswagen has just released the 2015 TDI Passat SEL Premiums and
    the dealers are giving you an $8500 lease incentive or $5000 off sticker plus 0% interest for 60 months. Might be worth a look.
  9. jdd82

jdd82 New Member

Do you still have your Jetta? I'm trying to get VW to acknowledge that the amount of mechatronic failures and ultimately complefe transmission failures are not coincidental nor are they isolated events. I would be interested in hearing from others who have or are currently experiencing similar issues, to see how we can hold VW accountable and reimburse those who paid through the nose for a repair that should have fallen within the scope of the recall.
  10. jdd82

jdd82 New Member

I don't see myself buying another VW either. This is so disheartening.
  11. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

I can't say I'm really upset over the DQ200. I guess it has it's own issues and I really don't want to pay $7K for a new transmission. But I do know my brother went through 5 transmissions in his Honda Odyssey. Sometimes the manufacturer doesn't hit a home run. It's a great car though
  12. TonyW

TonyW New Member

My 2013 Jetta Hybrid with 15,000 miles had similar issues back in April of this year. The dealer said the mechatronic unit needed to be replaced. I left the car with them and they called back saying VW Canada was going to replace both the mechatronic and the transmission. We were still within the 4 year warranty period so it was covered. I asked the dealer for a trade-in value and they were reluctant to provide one as it was so low. They said with the upcoming electric Golf models, the hybrid resale value has plummeted.
  13. JosNap

JosNap New Member

I just picked-up my repaired car today as local VW dealership diagnosed and replaced
    a faulty mechatronic unit in my 2013 Jetta Hybrid ( DSG/7-speed / 58,000 kms).
    VW Powertrain Warranty fully covered repairs.
    Happy to report the car no longer stalls at stop signs or in heavy traffic.
    The DSG now shifts smoother.
    E-Mode is now back in operation.
    Start-Stop Mode is now working as it should and not cycling on-off constantly.
    Braking now steady and not jerky.
    Even gained a new display of D1-D7 in instrument panel instead of just D.
  14. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

oh wow...maybe I need a software update to the DSG. hrmmm.