BMW crushes ActiveE electric test cars, who killed the electric car?

Discussion in 'VW, Audi, Porsche hybrid and EV forum: general' started by voltron, May 22, 2014.

1. voltron

voltron Administrator and Defender of the Universe Staff Member

[​IMG]

BMW did! However, it's not as bad as GM's destruction of perfectly good EV-1s. These were all BMW 1 series electric cars, the ActiveE, which were leased to around 700 lessors who were given pre-production test cars. From the beginning, these were destined for the junk heap.

However, around 70 were saved and given to CA's car-sharing service, DriveNow. Too bad the other 630 couldn't have been sold - I'd gladly buy one at a discount at it's scrap price and they wouldn't even have to give me a warranty. Unfortunately, because these were pre-production test cars, there are strict laws governing sale to the public so that would never happen.

I rode in a BMW i3 at the recent New York Auto show and the ActiveE were used to develop the i3's drivetrain. My review: good but still very expensive. The range extender option, a small gas generator, is something that I would definitely buy if I were to get one.