engine air filter

Discussion in 'VW Jetta hybrid forum' started by whyknot1, Feb 16, 2016.

1. whyknot1

whyknot1 Member

I recently changed my cabin air filter. It took about 5 minutes. I want to change the engine filter but looking at some DIY it seems complicated. has anyone tried this yet, also if the dealer did it how much did they charge
  2. StuartQF

StuartQF New Member

I did mine a while ago. Once I figured out how the engine cover came off it was OK (Hint,left from left side - it's clipped down there, and has pins going into the right side) I seem to remember needing a Torx driver, T20 I think? Unless I'm remembering doing the plugs..

I haven't done the cabin filter yet, where is it? Below the glovebox area like on other VWs?
  3. whyknot1

whyknot1 Member

yes its under the glove box
  4. Tom Smith

Tom Smith New Member

How difficult is it changing the Spark Plugs? The dealer wants 180.00 Just wondered if it is worth that or if I can do it myself. I searched and searched and there are no DIY for the Hybrid
  5. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

I did it myself without any special tools. Not hard at all. The hardest part is removing ignition coil. No big deal otherwise

Edit... After reading above I think I did need a triple square bit. I can't remember. I did get a set off Amazon for $20. Some people use a torx instead. You definitely need a triple square if removing hybrid battery cover though!
    Tom Smith likes this.
  6. Tom Smith

Tom Smith New Member

Great, Thanks! I do have a limited set of Triple Square bits since I have been working on my brothers Passat and my Beetle. Once it warms up I may take a look and see what I can do.
    Do you remember the brand of Spark Plug and the Number? If not I am sure I can look it up. Thanks again for your help.
  7. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

Tom Smith likes this.
  8. Tom Smith

Tom Smith New Member

Very nice! Thank you. That's a Great help! At what mileage did you change your plugs? I am right at 49k right now and they recommend to change them at 40k or every 4 years I believe.
  9. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

Mine was right around 43K when I found time to do it. It only took me about an hour total. I was trying to plan for worst case scenario though :)
    Tom Smith likes this.