engine running while stopped?

Discussion in 'VW Jetta hybrid forum' started by metarzan17, Apr 28, 2016.

1. metarzan17

metarzan17 New Member

99% of the time, when my car is stopped (like at a red light), my engine goes quiet and nothing is happening. But there are some times, I have noticed, that my engine is on. Does this ever happen to anyone? Is this when battery power is so low that it has to have the engine on?
  2. cdrussell

cdrussell Member

When the battery gets down to about two bars the engine will kick on to charge it up when you are stopped in traffic. The engine will also run while stopped when you first start up and the engine is cold. I did experience one time when driving to work that the engine ran continuously the whole trip. It never shut off while coasting or when stopped even though the battery was 90% charged. It only happened that one time and hasn't napped since.
    metarzan17 likes this.
  3. metarzan17

metarzan17 New Member

Thanks for your response, that is helpful.

Do you think it happens more frequently the older the battery is?
  4. cdrussell

cdrussell Member

Probably. I do worry about how well the battery will perform as it gets older (as I type this on my 5 year old iPad that constantly needs to be recharged).
    metarzan17 likes this.
  5. metarzan17

metarzan17 New Member

If at a longer stop/red light, would I be able to preserve/conserve battery power by putting the car in neutral? I assume yes.
  6. cdrussell

cdrussell Member

I doubt that would make any difference. When you are at a stop light with the car in drive and your foot on the brake, the clutch is not engaged, so you are effectively in neutral anyway. So I don't think the battery gets used any more whether you are in neutral or drive.
    metarzan17 likes this.
  7. metarzan17

metarzan17 New Member

Got it, thanks.
  8. Bossless

Bossless Member

Just recently my engine has stayed on continuously for an entire 30 minute trip. It has happened three times in about a weeks time. The battery shows 80-100% charged. In fact when this happens the battery winds up with all bars solid (100%). Talked to the dealer and they had no clue as to why. Asked if any dash lights came on. I said no and they said bring it in for diagnostic testing. Don't know what they could determine if it is not doing it when I bring it in. The car has 40K miles. Any idea of what might be going on? It lowers my milage when this happens.
  9. cdrussell

cdrussell Member

Sorry, I don't know why this is happening. I only had that one episode last winter and it has't happened since. I had the same experience that you have been seeing during a 30 minute commute to work. After I got to work and shut the car off, I started it up again to see if the engine would idle or not. The engine didn't start up, and like I said never happened again, so I just wrote it off as a random software glitch. It was cold that morning; I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. Maybe a faulty temperature sensor is telling the ECU that the engine hasn't completely warmed up yet. But that is just a wild assed guess.
  10. Bossless

Bossless Member

You are probably right that it is an intermittent faulty sensor. What also accompanies this is that the E-mode selection is rejected. Normally that only happens under certain conditions like being 45 mph or more, or tiptronic or S mode. It's a mystery that hasn't yet happened again.
  11. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

I'm not sure if I'm experiencing a similar issue but if it's too cold my hybrid service light comes on and the engine will stay in continuously.

Eventually after the weather warms up our I've driven it long enough, the hybrid service light goes off and normal operation resumes.

It only happens below freezing
  12. cdrussell

cdrussell Member

This definitely seems to be cold weather related. But if the hybrid service light is coming on, I would think that an error code is being thrown and it may be able to isolate the issue if you can find out what it is.
  13. Bossless

Bossless Member

In my case I never got an error code. However, one thing that was happening that I don't see how it would be related, was that the "out of range" message was coming on for my smart key. Sometimes I would have to hold the smart key close to the dash to get the car to start. The no electric mode happened on four different occasions during this time. Finally I changed the battery in my smart key and it has not happened again. So far, it has been about two weeks. I think it is coincidence and has nothing to do with the problem. However, it is kind of intriguing.
  14. Tom Smith

Tom Smith New Member

My transmissions Mechatronic Unit went out and never threw a code or check engine light etc. I noticed that at the stop light the engine would stop and start and stop and start continuously and when using the E-Mode
    it would disengage and tell me it's not available at this time. It also started lurching forward coming to a stop which was scary and it started blinking back and forth from D to wrench. Took it in and got the Mechatronic unit
    replaced under my extended warranty. No the engine stops again at a stop light and the E-Mode works and my gas mileage has improved from the low 30's to the low 40's. Hope it stays that way.
  15. Bossless

Bossless Member

Well, it happened that my engine stayed on again for a long drive after not happening for many months. What I have discovered is to restore to normal function, just stop and restart the car. Kind of like you have to do your computer sometimes. I conclude that it is just a software glitch that sometimes happens. One of those things that will never get fixed but it is easy to remedy by restarting your engine.