new Porsche hybrid-pics from the NYIAS, NYC auto show 2014

Discussion in 'VW, Audi, Porsche hybrid and EV forum: general' started by voltron, Apr 23, 2014.

1. voltron

voltron Administrator and Defender of the Universe Staff Member

I went to the NYIAS, the New York international auto show 2014 opening morning and saw the new Porsche 918 Spyder plug-in hybrid. You may have read about it in car magazines but seeing it in person is pretty impressive. It's not as low as I imagined and it's also smaller than it looks in pictures. The plug you see on the left is the charging plug.

Only around 20 have been made so far and they are $$$. The wheel spokes have silver trim in a pattern that makes it look like a clear disk. They're just thin, straight spokes. The flare at the outer diameter is just the silver trim bowing out against the wheel rim - the actual spoke is straight. It's a clever optical illusion.

I don't know how well this will hold its value because even though this is a mean, powerful, fast machine, it doesn't have the raw analog feel of the Carrera GT. Old Porsche 911 are white hot right now, beyond their status as a classic car - they're at collectible prices. Meanwhile, old Porsche 928 are faster and better than their contemporary 911 (and were more expensive) but they are worth almost nothing.

Needless to say, I think I'll pass on buying one ;)

076.jpg