Porsche Panamera hybrid specs, will be RWD only

Discussion in 'VW Touareg, Porsche Cayenne, and Panamera hybrid' started by voltron, May 18, 2011.

1. voltron

voltron Administrator and Defender of the Universe Staff Member

It looks like although the Porsche Panamera will use the same basic engine and drivetrain as the VW Touareg hybrid and Porsche Cayenne S hybrid, it will be rear wheel drive only. This is done to save space and weight. 0-60 is only 5.5 which is still pretty fast, certainly excellent for a hybrid, but slow for a new Porsche.

Check out the blog postings for more on this engine/drivetrain system. Cliffs: supercharged 3.0L V6 combined with an electric motor between it and the 8 speed transmission. Electric only driving is possible for a few miles under a certain speed and it can coast with engine off at up to highway speeds.
  2. voltron

Well, it looks like the Panamera will be slightly different from the Touareg-Cayenne drivetrain in that it's RWD. I've been researching some of the specs and 0-60 in 5.5 seconds is really quite slow for a Porsche. Some reasons why it's fiarly slow:

conventional planetary gear type automatic transmission - modern Porsches use PDK. PDK is a dual clutch automatically shifting manual. When one clutch is working, the other is pre selecting the next gear, resulting in very fast acceleration. A conventional automatic has a greater parasitic power loss and has the small gap in shifting time.

By comparison, the base Panamera with V6 does 0-60 in 6 seconds, the Turbo S Panamera with turbo V8 does 0-60 in 3.8 seconds!
  3. voltron

The funny thing about the Panamera is that it's actually selling OK. I've personally only seen one on the road and I have a feeling we're not going to see many Panamera hybrids. Porsche used to be a niche sports car maker but they're now changing into a full line automaker - sedans, large SUV, small SUV, and others.

What next, a station wagon?
  4. kurtmole

kurtmole New Member

I heard Volkswagen now owns Bentley and Porsche. In an effort to boost the brands and cut costs, VW says it will use a retooled Panamera body on all upcoming Bentleys. Well, which is the best model? I am planning to buy new auto with the new ones coming out.