Real World Mileage

Discussion in 'VW Jetta hybrid forum' started by brian.thesing@gmail.com, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Member

Glad to hear some of you are getting decent gas mileage. I figured the cold weather here would be lowering the gas mileage but with the full tank from the dealer so far it has only
    gotten 25.9 mpg as per the on board computer. I filled up with Premium and reset everything and so far it shows 30.6 mpg. Hope it will improve.
  2. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

5 mile commutes are going to be hard to improve. Try putting your vehicle in the garage over night and don't let the car warm up...start driving as soon as you can after start up
  3. RC_newowner

RC_newowner New Member

Here are some more numbers from my next 5,200 miles. I can correlate my lowest mgp miles with winter gas, very low temps (teens), driving like a "regular" car, and short trips, rather than highway commutes. (even my gas only cars went down in mileage during winter--approx. 10%) Overall lifetime is now is 47 mpg, but I do expect that this get lower as there are two more months of very cold weather.

43.5 (Nov. 18--my first note of "very cold weather")

Overall, I love this car--luckily, I haven't had any issues that a few others report. It's a comfortable ride and roomy for a "compact" car.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
    Thomas Smith likes this.
  4. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Member

Those are GREAT Numbers! What type of oil are you running in your Jetta? I was thinking of changing to Castrol Edge 0W30 European Formula which is a VW approved Motoroil.
    I figure it would be more fuel efficient especially in the cold of winter. I believe the dealership just puts in Castrol 5W40 Motoroil which may be a bit thick on Cold Winter days.
    (Single digits with below Zero windchill)
  5. RC_newowner

RC_newowner New Member

I just took it into the dealership at 20K and assume they put it whatever is recommended for SE PA for Oct/Nov. For my numbers, I do have a lot going for me--mostly highway and longer trips, conservative driver, drove most of the ownership time without the need for A/C or heat (until recently). Temps here have been into the teens.

Your numbers sound low and I'd be pretty unhappy if that's what I was getting. Bossless has a few posts here, at VWVortex and at least one other site titled MPG Underperformance that you might find helpful (you've probably read them already). I'd take it to the dealership if your numbers stay consistently low.
    Thomas Smith likes this.
  6. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Member

Going in for the 20k maintenance today. I will asked them about the mileage issue. Heck with that low of a mileage I should have gone for the GLI. It gets about the same mileage as my Hybrid and
    is a lot quicker ;)
  7. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

Nothing you drive will achieve epa rating in 5 miles no matter the weather. Are you suffering buyer's remorse?

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/auto...ps-poor-gas-mileage-auto-3.html#ixzz3OwXCzNnn

Maybe an e-golf would have been better but I don't think batteries operate well in temperature extremes.
    Thomas Smith likes this.
  8. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Member

Nah, no buyers remorse. I actually like the little car even if it weren't a Hybrid. I like the way it handles and it is pretty quick for a 1.4 l engine. It's definitely quicker
    than the 1.8 Tsi base motor I have test driven. The little car has it's charm. When I topped it off today and calculated the mileage manually I did come up with
    34.1 mpg which I guess isn't bad for the cold temperatures we've been having and the short trips I've been taking. Besides, I have my 2012 APR Stage 2 tuned
    2.0Tsi Beetle in the Garage in case I feel the need for speed. 6 speed manual with a HSTuning RSR clutch, 24mm Rear Sway bar, short shifter, APR downpipe, etc.
    I do have buyers remorse regarding the Condo I bought. Well, the Condo is great but the "One" car garage sucks. That means the Beetle sits nice and cozy in the
    garage while the Jetta has to sit outside and freezes it's bal.... I mean batteries off :D Sure I could put the Beetle outside and the Jetta inside, however it would be
    a hassle in the morning to move the Beetle out of the single driveway and then the Jetta out and the Beetle in. There is no other Parking in this place. So I guess
    I just have to make due with the Jetta being outside and it being cold in the morning when I take my wife to work.
    As you said the gas mileage will probably improve when the temps warm up in the spring. Should be interesting to see how she does in the Summer. Or not since
    I will be driving the Beetle a lot more when the weather warms up ;)
  9. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

Oh man...garaging the hybrid would be huge. I started doing that during the winter for mine and my mpg jumped 3 to 5 total because it didn't take as much to warm up.

It really is good to see that your mileage is doing better. You should start tracking with the fuelly app on your phone if you can...then you could compare the situations and take notes per tank
    Thomas Smith likes this.
  10. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Member

I will download the fuelly app and see how that goes. I do wish I could put the Jetta in the garage but the parking here is at a premium. Guest parking is around the corner and there are only a couple of spots
    that are always taken. The only place I have is my small driveway and the really tiny one car garage. To move the cars every morning would take more gas and wear and tear on the Beetle than the couple of miles
    it would save on the Jetta. I could get a Car Cover but I don't think it would make that much of a difference. Well, it's only 9 more weeks of winter ;)
  11. Elm Grove Bob

Elm Grove Bob New Member

when coasting and car reads "charging" is it running on electric or gas? And what starts the engine, there cant be a starter?
  12. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Member

When coasting, it is coasting and not costing any fuel. The regenerative braking actually charges the Hybrid battery. The gasoline engine may still be running depending
    on the conditions. When coasting or gliding as some call it the car temporarily shows 128 mpg+ of course that changes once you put your foot on the gas. The car doesn't need a starter when
    in motion. It can disengage and engage the gas motor via the momentum of the flywheel. When you first start your car in the morning it utilized an electric starter or it could just run on
    electric power until you are in motion and then switch to gas while moving. My gas mileage has actually improved after I took the car in for my 20k free maintenance and had the oil changed.
    Seemed like the previous oil change was performed over 9k miles ago and nobody ever checked the oil in between since it was over a quart low which on an engine with little over 4 quart
    capacity makes a huge difference. After the oil change and driving it a bit more my average mileage has gone up from 34.4 mpg to 46.3 mpg. One thing to mention also is that the temperatures
    have been above normal in the last 5 days. 45 - 50 degrees every day which I think helped a lot with the mileage as well. The Hybrid doesn't do so well in Sub Zero Temperatures.
  13. Elm Grove Bob

Elm Grove Bob New Member

yes i noticed, i live in Canada,,,eh
    AKMinMN likes this.
  14. DMcDonald

DMcDonald Member

It has been very cold and snowy in the Boston area lately. One thing I've noticed is that mpgs are reasonable good when temps are in the mid to upper 30s. Drop below freezing and you take a hit. Down in the teens and single digits - big hit. The engine really cools off quickly and it has to warm up. The heavy snow has really slowed down traffic, too, so it's hard to keep the battery charged up and the engine warmed up, so the engine has to run. At least our engine are not constantly running, like most other cars. Getting mpgs in the 30s probably is not too bad in these conditions.
    I800C0LLECT likes this.
  15. cdrussell

cdrussell Member

I agree. While people criticize hybrids for getting below average mpg in cold weather, I'm guessing that most other cars aren't reaching their EPA estimates either.

I'm also in the Boston area and I hate driving in these conditions with all the sand and salt. Probably still not as bad as living in Canada though.
    I800C0LLECT likes this.
  16. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

Most tend to forget that when maximizing efficiency, it doesn't take much to fall off the curve. Two things I've wondered about EPA ratings...

1) If mpg is calculated using a dyno how do they account for wind/air resistance?
    2) Do they use ethanol free gas? If not, 10% ethanol solution or another variance?

I think those two items contribute greatly to erroneous EPA ratings. Of course, aerodynamics don't really come into play until you reach 55mph+...but misinformation is everywhere. That's the biggest hurdle for marketing.
  17. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

I remember that when the Prius was new to market so many years ago they had a campaign to make sure everybody knew that their cars only achieved EPA ratings in mild climates. They pounded it in to everybody's head that the cars were not designed for extreme weather at all. It was one of the major caveats they threw out whenever talking about mpg. Then if anybody could get over 35mpg it was considered a side effect of miracle engineering by Toyota and their employees. Maybe that's the trick to marketing a hybrid? Tell everybody it can't knowing it can...then you've got nothing but positive feedback.
  18. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Member

The weather in the last 4 days has been Great and after just last week being 10 below Zero and 8 inches of Snow we have had temps in the 40's and today even 50's. This makes a huge difference on how the car runs and on the mileage.
    Filled it up today and manually calculated 41.3 mpg. Now keep in mind that was partially on the very cold previous week and the last 4 nice days. I believe that once it stays in the 40's and above this car can reach it's advertised mpgs.
    Looking forward to 40+ mpgs from here on :D
    I800C0LLECT likes this.
  19. Pelican18TQA4

Pelican18TQA4 New Member

Charging while coasting can happen regardless of the state of the engine. That is, it's charging via recovering the kinetic energy of the vehicle through the electric motor, using it as a generator rather than a power source.

As for starting the engine, it uses the same electric motor that it uses to power the vehicle. There is a clutch between the motor and the engine. To start the engine it closes that clutch and spins the electric motor. This is the same behavior at start up and while on the move.
  20. DMcDonald

DMcDonald Member

Well, temperatures have been getting into the 70s lately. The mpgs are responding very nicely. My last tank was about 50 mpg calculated and this tank is off to an even better start. I know I'm off to a good start if I can get 80 miles or so before the needle moves off the full line. Getting over 300 miles before the tank reads half full is also encouraging. I'm over 20K miles and it seems as though mpgs are improving. Traffic conditions obviously have a huge impact, though. Whatever the reason, I'm liking the climbing mpgs. Hope others are having the same experience.
    voltron likes this.