Real World Mileage

Discussion in 'VW Jetta hybrid forum' started by brian.thesing@gmail.com, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Elm Grove Bob

Elm Grove Bob New Member

i got 45 mpg imperial last tank, this is with normal driving, not taking it easy, i love the car, fast, handles great, space is a issue though having two young children
  2. Bossless

Bossless Member

I love the car too, but I am unable to get the milage you guys get and it seems to be getting less as time goes on. My last 1618 miles I averaged 43.1 mpg. Car now has 24,144 miles.
  3. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

I love my car and sit above the 40mpg mark with my heavy wheels and non-hyper-miling ways.

As long as I can maintain that I'm happy. One day way far down the line I may think about moving up to a tesla motors vehicle. Until then I'm very happy! I've definitely noticed a large increase in mileage with the weather though. My best tank still stands at 100% interstate and 57mpg. I was leaving the mountains :)
  4. fgbrault

fgbrault Member

Those (80 and 300 miles) are the exact same two targets I use too to determine how well I am doing!
  5. DMcDonald

DMcDonald Member

43.1 mpg certainly isn't bad. It's difficult to compare with others, since the driving conditions are probably different. If you are in traffic that requires you to get on the go pedal a lot it's hard to get the higher mpgs. Frequent acceleration is an mpg killer, no matter what you drive.
  6. DMcDonald

DMcDonald Member

I briefly thought about trading the hybrid in on an eGolf when my local dealer posted a misleading ad on their website, making me think I could get the car for cheaper than I actually could. Even with all the credits, I couldn't justify a car that has an 80-90 mile range, when I'm driving a car with a 450-500 mile range. Plus I'd have to get a bunch of electrical work done in my garage to charge the thing. The eGolf is nice, though. Lately, I'm fantasizing about a BMW 535d X drive or Audi A6 TDI. We'll see...
  7. njbud

njbud New Member

My 2014 Jetta Hybrid SEL Prem. gets 40 mpg. I already have 23,000 miles on it, runs great, handles good and its fast :)
  8. Bossless

Bossless Member

I now have 25,700 miles on my 2013 and I am getting 42.8 mpg average. The spec. is 45 mpg. Early on I got 45, but I have been trending down ever since.
  9. DMcDonald

DMcDonald Member

Well, did a 540 mile trip from Boston to the Adirondacks and back. Pretty hilly across I90 with a fair amount of ac use, speed usually around 70 mph, except for passing sprints or slow downs in traffic. Mostly used cruise control. Trip computer was reading 45-46 mpg, but used 11 gal gas in 540 miles for 49 mpg. Did a little better than EPA rating in those conditions, so I'm pleased.;) Currently at 29K miles on the odo.
  10. Bossless

Bossless Member

That's terrific. I'm only getting 42.3 mpg average in mostly level Florida. I wonder what accounts for the difference. I am a fairly conservative driver most of the time. I now have 28K miles on the car.
  11. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Member

What type of Motor Oil are you using? I am using Mobil One 0W40 and am getting around 44.7 mpg in flat Indiana. Changing the oil every 5k miles. It's due for it's 30k service.
  12. Bossless

Bossless Member

VW tells me it is 5W30 synthetic.. I am also due for 30K service in about 1K miles. They change it every 10K miles. My manual says use either 5W30 or 5W40.
  13. DMcDonald

DMcDonald Member

In terms of oil, I stick with the recommended oil. In terms of the good mileage with highway driving, I think it needs long stretches of constant speeds, without much speeding up and slowing down, getting off/on highways. When I drive highways to work, it involves merges, lane changes, stomping on the pedal. Mpgs are a lot worse in these situations. Also, driving in FL, I imagine the ac has to work a lot harder than around here in New England. That drains the battery more quickly.
  14. Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith Member

Interesting. I don't know of any over the counter 5W30 Motor Oil that is VW approved. I know that the 0W40 Mobil One and the Castrol 5W40 are VW approved and I have changed my oil with 0W40 Mobil One inbetween
    the dealer services. I don't like to go 10k miles on an oil change. Every 5k is what I am comfortable with. Also have you ever changed your Air Filter? The VW Service doesn't call for it until 40k but I took a look and that
    thing was filthy. No stores has a Hybrid Jetta air filter so I had to go to the dealer and by 30 bucks for it. I may go with a K&N drop in filter the next time I change it. My mileage is a lot better in the summer with the AC on
    then in the winter where the battery has to strain a lot more to warm up from minus 20-30 below. Hybrids don't do well in cold weather. 34 mpg was the best I gotten in the winter and as low as 28mpg. Summer has been
    steady at around 42 mpg average. Closer to the advertised 45mpg average it is suppose to get.
  15. DMcDonald

DMcDonald Member

You should do what you are comfortable with. The oil and the engine are engineered for 10K oil changes, so changing your oil at 5K is mostly a waste of money and oil. As I understand these oils are manufactured with detergents that may not be beneficial to the engine if the oil change intervals are significantly shortened. I am close to my 30K scheduled maintenance and the oil still looks pretty clean.
  16. Bossless

Bossless Member

Now that it is established that VW cheats, I wonder if that has anything to do with the hybrid not meeting its milage specs? Consumer Reports reported 37 mpg average when they tested the 2013 as opposed to the EPA 45 mpg average.
  17. DMcDonald

DMcDonald Member

I think that's typical for hybrids. Many drivers don't get the EPA estimated mpg, unlike diesels. I think the Prius is an exception. I can beat the EPA estimates in my hybrid, but inconsistently. There are a lot of factors that have an influence. One of the things that drives me crazy is how quickly the fuel guage drops to empty once it gets to half a tank. I recently filled up when the tank when it read 1/2 tank and it took over 7 gallons. The tank only holds 11.4 gal. I wish they could calibrate it more accurately. Rant over.
    AKMinMN likes this.
  18. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

I don't think ethanol helps. Er...I bet they use 100% gasoline when testing EPA mileage.
  19. DMcDonald

DMcDonald Member

Well, my hybrid experiment is over for now. I traded the hybrid in on an Audi Q5 TDI. I absolutely love the Q5. Won't get the same mpgs as the hybrid, but no surprises there. So far, the computer is telling me I'm getting in the low 30s driving on secondary roads and in the city. I'll see how it's doing after I have a few thousand miles on it. I'm anxious to see how it does on the highway. I'll miss the 50 mpgs I could get from time to time driving to work. In reality, the highway mpgs were 40s. Did a trip from Philly to Boston and got around 40 mpgs. Driving a hybrid did teach me the driving techniques it takes to maximize mpgs. I had to learn how to feather the gas pedal to keep the car going at speed with the electric motor. That's easy to do on secondary roads where the speed limit is 30-45 mph and on the highway stuck in Boston traffic :). Once the traffic gets moving and you are accelerating and decelerating, mpgs plummet. The TDIs are more forgiving and you get penalized less in terms of mpgs when driving fast. I had a Q5 with the 2.0 TFSI engine as a loaner and the computer read about 10 mpgs less than the TDI in the same driving conditions, so I think doing with the 3.0 TDI is a no brainer, and it is quick! The hybrid was a nice car and sharp looking, but I won't miss the intermittent sunroof rattles and door squeaks. If you are willing to modify your driving technique, the hybrid can reward you with high mpgs, but you have to keep your foot light on the accelerator. I hope your hybrids continue to treat you well.
  20. cdrussell

cdrussell Member

Today is the second anniversary of ownership for my 2014 Hybrid SEL so I decided to update the mileage stats. Overall, the car has 16,641 miles on the odometer and the average mpg is 44.7.

In 2014 I put 8990 miles on the car and averaged 43.9 mpg In 2015, I drove 7651 and averaged 45.8 mpg. The mpgs were higher in 2015 (and the miles were lower) than in 2014 because I made it a point to use my wife's car for most of the short errands around town so it wouldn't bring my average down. I guess some people would consider that cheating.

I also took the car in today for its last free oil change. The the car is running great with no issues so far.