replacement tires

Discussion in 'VW Jetta hybrid forum' started by whyknot1, Nov 24, 2015.

1. whyknot1

whyknot1 Member

I have a 2013 Hybrid SEL Premium and it came with continental 205/50/17. I live in g\Georgia and have 33,000 miles. the tires are at about 4 mil so i will be do soon. I am not really concerned about the snow and ice since I dont really drive during those times but I do a lot of highway driving at pretty high speeds. i don't want to break the bank either. thanks
  2. voltron

voltron Administrator and Defender of the Universe Staff Member

I'm a Michelin man :D But think about your driving style - aggressive cornering or just regular driving? Do you want a quiet soft tire or a tire that gets better mpg at the cost of a harder ride?
  3. cdrussell

cdrussell Member

I'm still on the original equipment tires that came with my 2014 SEL. I've got no complaints with the Bridgestone Turanza EL 400s that came with the car, but there are definitely better tires out there. I don't think you can go wrong with checking out Tire Rack's web site and searching for the tire specs you are interested in and seeing how other people rate the tires that are available.

When it's time for new tires, I plan to stay with a LRR rated tire, but go with one that's has a decent rating for traction, comfort and tread wear.
  4. whyknot1

whyknot1 Member

I wound up getting Cooper tires
  5. voltron

What model/type/size? What are the initial impressions? I don't know a lot about Cooper's models.
  6. whyknot1

whyknot1 Member

cooper RS3_A 205 -50-17. i got them Monday and drove to Charlotte and back Wednesday and yesterday about 500 miles. I live near Atlanta Ga. great ride very quiet. No rain yet but i will keep you posted as the weather changes.
  7. metarzan17

metarzan17 New Member

Are there other LRR tires that are well-suited for the VW Jetta hybrid that have other specifications/sizes than 205/50/17?
  8. cdrussell

cdrussell Member

Not sure about this one since I haven't been in the market new tires. If you want to maximize mpgs then your best tire sizes are probably limited to either the 205/50/17 or 205/55/16. Anything wider will probably lower your mileage, although if they are rated as LLRs, it may not make much of a difference. I have 18 inch wheels with 225/40/18 inch summer tires that I use in the summer and I use my OEM 16 inch wheels and LLR tires in the winter. When I make the switch to the 18s, my mileage drops by about 3-4 mpgs, so tires do make a difference. As to which brand of LLRs are the best, I can't really say.
  9. Bob Earl

Bob Earl New Member

I would go with the original (for the SEL) Continental ContiProContact 205/50 R 17
    They wear very well, quiet, and good grip in all conditions...
  10. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

11. voltron

I currently have the pilot sport AS3. They are very nice tires, very happy with them. I use a separate set of winters and they're only 2 years old (no winters) so perhaps my opinion will change as they get threadbare.
  12. cdrussell

cdrussell Member

Let us know if you see a dip in mpgs with the new tires. If you are switching from low rolling resistance tires to these ulta high performance tires, I'm guessing you will. But the improvement in ride and handling make it a worthwhile trade in my opinion.
  13. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

I actually ditched LRR at purchase. My fuelly represents Firestone Firehawk wide oval tires. They're a great tire for the price. Despite being a summer tire they've been exceptional for snow and ice. I haven't had a tire as good in the rain in quite a while either. I just wanted to try something different this time. I may go back to them *shrug*

http://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireDet...hawk Wide Oval Indy 500&partnum=245WR7FHWI5XL

Screenshot_20170112-132335.png
  14. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

I finally picked up my car after almost a month at the dealership. They were great! So far, no problems with the engine getting jumpy when cold. VW engineers claimed the vacuum pump had something to do with that.

Anyways, 4 new Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ on the car and I achieved 44.7mpg on the mfd, in light rain. The commute is about 26 miles. About 4 miles of that is "city". So...I have never gotten close to 38mpg on the mfd in this kind of weather on my previous tires. I will add that majority of the interstate stretch is under construction and my speed varied from 60mph to 65mph.

Also, since I'm riding on 225/45/r17 my total circumference is smaller than factory. I typically fall below the mfd under 41mpg by 1 to 3 total mpg when hand calculating. But when over 41, typically over mfd by 1 to 38mpg too.

After I fill up I'll start tracking on fuelly again.

Handling was GREAT. Like it wasn't even raining. The ride was firm but compliant. Very nice overall. I may device to deaden the doors and frame to reduce overall ambient noise. Majority of road noise travels and amplifies through those areas. Big thumbs up so far