traded in my hybrid

Discussion in 'VW Jetta hybrid forum' started by whyknot1, Jul 6, 2016.

1. whyknot1

whyknot1 Member

I bought my Hybrid new in August of 2013. It is a great car and enjoyed 41,000 great miles. I never had an issue with it. last week when I brought it in for the 40,00 service which is not cheap,I asked my finance guy at the dealer what my car was worth in a trade in. Since it was just announced that the Jetta Hybrid was not being made for 2017. they go to the auction pricing and he had to pretty far away to see when one crossed the auction block. It sold for about what I owed the bank. So I took the plunge and traded it in for a 2016 Passat SE with technology and lighting package. i got a really great deal and so far the car is what I expected. I am still a believer in Hybrid s and am looking forward to the Passet plug in when it comes to the USa. It has been a great experience on this forum and I wish you all the best in the future
  2. prklouda

prklouda New Member

Do you mind me asking which trim level your hybrid was, and what the dealer gave you for the trade in? Thanks..,
  3. whyknot1

whyknot1 Member

it was sel premium $11,500 plus saving on tax. this dealer had not sold one all year. Vw said they only sold about 500 all year
  4. prklouda

prklouda New Member

Thanks, I have a 2013 SEL with 28,000 miles. The car has been great. I'm currently averaging 43.8 mpg long term. I'm wondering if I should cut my losses and sell it now????
  5. whyknot1

whyknot1 Member

I never got over 40 mpg . I live in Atl Ga and in the years I owned it I only saw 2 others. It also depends on what you are looking for if you sell it.
  6. prklouda

prklouda New Member

I live far north of Chicago in a rural village. I work at home so no commuting every day. I have only seen one other Jetta hybrid on the road for the entire time that I owned it. It has been trouble free thus far. I drive it like a hybrid so I'm always trying to maximize mpg. My last car was a BMW 335i which was a screamer: 0 to 60 in 4.2 seconds. And close to 27 mpg. I'd probably have less than 20k miles on my Jetta if I hadn't lent it to my son to take to college over the winter one year.

I'm actually thing of buying a 2017 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid if I can afford it. The sticker on that would be around $40k though!

Bottom line is I'm worried that the value of my Jetta is dropping dramatically. I will probably try selling it myself before trading it in. Kelly Blue Book says I can get about $14k if I sell to a private party, but I really doubt it. Not really sure what to do at this point...
  7. voltron

voltron Administrator and Defender of the Universe Staff Member

If you had posted it for sale online, I'm sure someone would have snapped it up at that price + a little extra.

I would hold onto the car if it were mine and was problem free. If it has engine/hybrid problems then maybe not but transmission problems should be easier to fix.
  8. whyknot1

whyknot1 Member

i thought about that but I live in Georgia and i have not seen anyone post that is nearby
  9. voltron

voltron Administrator and Defender of the Universe Staff Member

I also meant on ebay and craigslist.
  10. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

I still don't have plans to do anything with mine but drive it for quite a while. I figured that even if the hybrid system goes that 1.4L will still have a long life
  11. Bossless

Bossless Member

Is it for sure that the car will operate without a functional electric system?
  12. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

I haven't dived into it but I don't see why not. The 12V system is independent of the battery. Recently, I had a problem where the gas motor was stalling out and wouldn't start. It ran just fine on high voltage motor alone.

Turned out that I needed a software update and just happened to hit some anomaly in the older system.

If it can run on the high voltage independently, no reason it can't run on the gas motor independently
  13. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

Just wanted to update...during the cold snap my Hybrid system required "SERVICE NOW" :) It ran fine off the 1.4L motor. It went off after getting the engine up to temperature a couple times. No idea what that was about?