VW E-Golf better than Nissan Volt or just better advertised?

Discussion in 'VW e-Golf, Golf hybrid, and Audi A3 e-tron forum' started by voltron, Apr 8, 2015.

1. voltron

voltron Administrator and Defender of the Universe Staff Member

VW E-Golf vs. Nissan Volt....for the first time, the E-Golf has outsold the Nissan Volt during early 2015, but only in Europe. The E-golf sold just over 2,000 units vs. the Volt's 1600. Meanwhile, in the US, the E-Golf sold about 500 sold Jan-March 2015, and 4000 Nissan Leaf.

First, I'm surprised that so many people are buying Nissan Leaf in the US. The US's greater spaces and less friendly infrastructure means that it's not as practical as in Europe. Could the difference in sales also mean that Europe prefers VW to Nissan? I'm sure that no ads or really any promotion of the E-Golf has helped sales either. I've never seen any promo or even mention of the E-Golf by VW. In fact, if I wasn't aware of cars and hybrids, I wouldn't even know the E-Golf existed.

Therefore, maybe greater advertising or awareness in Europe has produced better sales? Try advertising VW!
  2. cdrussell

cdrussell Member

Don't they briefly mention the e-Golf in the commercial that has all the different Golf variants? I can't remember. Anyway, they should advertise it more. VW is definitely pushing their diesel cars though.

I've actually seem a couple of e-Golfs in the wild; you can't miss the distinctive LED driving lights on the bumper. The local dealership had an e-Golf in the showroom and I got to see it up close. The interior is very nice.
  3. DMcDonald

DMcDonald Member

I went to see the eGolf SEL the other day at my local VW dealer. The are slick! The MK7s are nicely put together with a quality feel. I got sucked in because the dealer had 3 eGolfs listed for $26K! I figured at $26K, sounds too good to be true, but my Jetta Hybrid was deeply discounted when I bought it. So, if the price was $26K, with $10K in federal and state credits, I would go for it, trade in the Hybrid. Well, of course the real price was $36K and the dealer was listing the price after the credits. I figured that may be the case, but since there was no asterisk or fine print saying the price was after credits, I wanted to be sure. I did suggest to the sales manager that they may want to specify that their website should state that the pricing was after the credits. This is why I hate car buying. Dealers can be dishonest. I bought 3 cars from that dealer, but I probably won't buy another. An additional $10K plus roughly $2K to install a 240 volt charger in my garage is hard to justify. I can generally get 450-500+ miles per tank in my hybrid, whereas I'd only get 80-90 miles per charge in the eGolf. I'm spending about 7 cents per mile with my hybrid, so it would take a long time to recoup all the extra money. On another interesting note, I read in eGolf chat rooms that in theory, you can program the eGolf to charge late at night when electric rates are lower. However, apparently the program is buggy and owners have reported they go out to their garages to find uncharged cars. If the eGolf was your only car, you'd be out of luck! For me, electric cars don't justify the high investment at this point.
  4. I800C0LLECT

I800C0LLECT Member

I've actually been looking at the Tesla model S. I wouldn't mind moving over to a decent E-car if I could get a 125 miles out of a charge. I honestly am too busy to need to worry about how many miles I might want to drive in a day before charging. I guess it'd be just fine if I could charge it at work as well or simply had the same routine day in and day out that I could count on to match my battery capacity.