VW's new ID concept: better than Tesla?

Discussion in 'VW, Audi, Porsche hybrid and EV forum: general' started by voltron, Sep 28, 2016.

1. voltron

voltron Administrator and Defender of the Universe Staff Member

[​IMG]

Looks cool but keep in mind it's only a concept. Further details will be released later this week but what we know so far is that it should have 373 miles of range. VW's goal is to release 30 new hybrids or EV in the next 10 years. So far they have the electric Golf and hybrid Golf/Audi A3. Does Audi count?
  2. voltron

voltron Administrator and Defender of the Universe Staff Member

Some more details from their press release today:

The I.D. concept car will become the first Volkswagen built off the Modular Electric Drive kit (MEB). It is due to go on sale in 2020, with a range of up to 373 miles
    • The first Volkswagen in a completely new fleet of highly innovative electric vehicles, based off the Modular Electric Drive kit (MEB)
    • Immediately recognizable as a zero-emissions vehicle thanks to a newly developed design DNA for electric cars
    • Uses a 168-horsepower electric motor and has a range of between 249 and 373 miles on a single battery charge
    • Interior offers an entirely new experience thanks to the Open Space concept
    • Launch will happen in 2020
    • Concept gives first tangible glimpse of fully automated driving, a mode that will be offered from 2025 onwards
    • Multifunction steering wheel retracts into the dashpad in fully automated mode (“I.D. Pilot”)
    • Volkswagen has set itself the goal of selling a million electric cars a year by 2025
    Think New. – Volkswagen sets a course for the future
    Wolfsburg / Paris, September 2016.
    Volkswagen is embarking on its journey to the future at the Paris Motor Show with the world premiere of the visionary I.D., a highly automated electric car that will be able to cover a distance of 249 to 373 miles on a single battery charge. The production version of the I.D. is due to be launched in 2020 at a price on a par with comparably powerful and well-equipped Golf models. Volkswagen is looking even further ahead with this concept car: in “I.D. Pilot” mode, it is capable of fully automated driving, a technology that should be ready for series production in 2025. Volkswagen has also set itself the goal of selling a million electric cars a year by 2025 and the production version of the I.D. will make a decisive contribution towards this ramp-up of e-mobility.